Friday 11/6/15

At 9:00am I turned off the chiller and took a sample of oysters from the overnight treatment. It appeared that many of the oysters from the overnight treatment were gaping slightly, but they still offered resistance during dissection. I dissected 6 cultch set oysters per population and 4 tile set oysters and put the whole body tissue in RNALater. I also dissected 10 oysters per population from the control treatment. Instead of moving the overnight oysters over to the control tank, I let the temperature gradually increase by draining some of the tank and adding ambient water. We switched the control tank over to a flow-through system with live algae dripping in. At 2:00pm I moved the overnight chilled oysters to the control tank. The hatchery folks are going to keep an eye on the oysters for 2 weeks, after which they’ll sample all of the survivors.

-control tank: 9degC
-chilled tank: 0degC; turned off chiller
– chilled tank: 3degC
-chilled tank: 5degC
-chilled tank: 7degC
-control tank: 10degC; switched to flowthrough system
-chilled tank: 9degC; added overnight oysters to control tank
-control tank: 11degC

I took apart the tile trays and drained out the tank they had been in. Some tiles that had only a few oysters on them were not used in the temperature experiment. I dissected these and put the whole body in RNALater, figuring they could be used for genotyping or looking at epigenetic in the F2 generation. Some of them I took a picture for size data and some of them I measured with a ruler.

Samples from tiles:

  1. SSB10
  2. NFA7_1
  3. NFA7_2
  4. SSB11
  5. NFA13R: 1.3cm x 1.4cm
  6. HCA10_1: 1.3 x 1.2
  7. HCA10_2: .9 x .7
  8. HCA15 (top)
  9. HCA6 (top)
  10. NFB12 (middle)
  11. NFB13R (2nd from top)
  12. NFB7 (left)
  13. HCA8

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s